8.3.12

Top Ten Thursdays: 2007 In Film

So, as promised, I am going to continue my top ten lists for this month concerning the "best years in film."  This weeks edition will focus on one of the first years that I truly realized the glorious experience of moviegoing.  In 2007, I was blown away by a onslaught of excellent films and have decided to focus on it for this list, my list is as always biased, but hopefully rather broad.

10.) Lars and the Real Girl

I had only seen Ryan Gosling in The Notebook prior to seeing this indie dark drama.  Needless to say, it changed my entire understanding of him as an actor.









9.) Stardust

 This came from out of nowhere for me when I went to see it in theaters.  I have yet to revisit it, but have nothing but fond thoughts when reflecting on its cinematic grandeur.






8.) Funny Games

And then the world had Michael Haneke...well he had been there, but he was now a global name thanks to this horror film that goes from serene to abrasive in seconds.






7.) The Poughkeepsie Tapes

Simply put, this is the only found footage film that matters, and here is why.








6.) No Country For Old Men

This is a perfect film, without a doubt, while it is not my favorite of the year it certainly earned its place as the best picture winner.











5.) Juno

When Judd Apatow and Diablo Cody got together for Juno everything viewers understood about comedy changed, and has yet to evolve to the next level.









4.) I'm Not There

Multiple people playing Bob Dylan may seem like a bizarre concept for a film, but between the Fellini references and a rambling Cate Blanchett it is all so poetically realized.








3.) The Diving Bell and the Butterfly

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly is a graduate course in stream-of-conscious filmmaking.










2.) The Assassination of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford

This is probably the one Brad Pitt movie you have not seen and you for that you should be ashamed.  It is a gem of a film that succeeds in cinematic ponderings as well as excellent acting.







1.) There Will Be Blood

Draaaaaaaaiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnaaaagggggeeeeeeeee!










Honorable Mention

Atonement
The Darjeeling Limited
Paranormal Activity

No comments:

Post a Comment