22.9.11

Top Ten Thursdays: The Criterion Collection

It has been nearly a month since my last one of these, and I figured nothing better than doing it on my ever favorite DVD supplier Criterion.  It is a dream of mine to one day provide my list on their website, but until then I will just have to do it here on my blog.  I will be providing the spine number for these films, as opposed to the usual year of release.

10.) The Seventh Seal (11)

This is one of the first films I purchased from the collection, and perhaps one of the ones with the most lasting impression.  I will forever have the dance of death burned into my mind.





9.) Paul Robeson: A Portrait of the Artist (369)


I am choosing this particular box set more for its historical relevance.  Not only does this set of films include of of Robeson's finest works, it also includes a film by Oscar Micheaux the often overlooked and highly underappreciated African-American silent filmmaker.







8.) The Last Temptation of Christ (70)

"It is accomplished"










7.) The Night of The Hunter (541)


"Leaning..."











 
6.) House (539)

This movie will change everything you understand about cinema, perhaps for better, but probably just for worse.












5. By Brakhage: An Anthology Volume 1 and 2 (184 and 517)

Stan Brakhage is one of the most important figures in the history of film, and only the Criterion Collection could do is films justice.







4.) Hoop Dreams (289)

Probably one of the most critically acclaimed documentaries in the collection, Hoop Dreams will break your heart.










3.) Hardboiled (9)


Long out of print, this John Woo film is one of the most sought after in the collection and it is deservedly so.









2.) Kicking and Screaming (349)

"We eat cantaloupe..."










1.) Do The Right Thing (97)

As I have noted before this is my favorite film and it should be no surprise it is also my favorite in the collection.  The supplements for this release are outstanding.








Honorable Mention

Alphaville (25)
The Harder They Come (83)
 Le Samourai (306)
La Jetee (387)
The Milky Way (402)
Chungking Express (453)
Last Year at Marienbad (478)

2 comments:

  1. very nice list (as well as the honorable mention). now i may have to do one of these myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, this was surprisingly tough to compile. I can't imagine how people who have seen most/the entire collection come up with a top ten list.

    ReplyDelete